Central banking at a crossroads : Europe and beyond / edited by Charles Goodhart, Daniela Gabor, Jakob Vestergaard and Ismail Ertürk
- London : Anthem Press, 2014.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (viii, 283 pages) : illustrations
- Additional Creators:
- Goodhart, C. A. E. (Charles Albert Eric), Gabor, Daniela, Vestergaard, Jakob, and Ertürk, Ismail
- Anthem frontiers of global political economy
- Restrictions on Access:
- Open Access Unrestricted online access
- Constraining descretion in bank regulation / Andrew G. Haldane -- Fallacies and irrelevant facts in the discussion on capital regulation / Anat R. Admati, Peter M. Demarzo, Martin F. Hellwig, and Paul Pfleiderer -- Complexity, interconnectedness : business models and the Basel system / Adrian Blundell-Wignall, Paul Atkinson, and Caroline Roulet -- At the brink of insolvency : shallow recapitalization exercise fails to bolster Europe's ailing banks / Jakob Vestergaard and Maria Retana -- Bank resolution in comparative perspective : what lessons for Europe? / Charles Goodhart -- Resolving problem banks : a review of the global evidence / Martin Cihák and Erlend Nier -- Bank resolution in New Zealand and its implications for Europe / David G. Mayes -- Collateral and monetary policy / Manmohan Singh -- The ECB and the political economy of collateral / Daniela Gabor -- The backstory of the risk-free asset : how government debt became "safe" / Nina Boy -- Central banking post-crisis : what compass for uncharted waters? / Claudio Borio -- Reconceptualizing central bank unconventional policies : long positions on no-growth capitalism / Ismail Ertürk -- The relationship between central banks and governments : what are central banks for? / Sheila C. Dow -- Is new governance the ideal architecture for global financial regulation? / Annelise Riles.
- This book reflects on the innovations that central banks have introduced since the 2008 collapse of Lehman Brothers to improve their modes of intervention, regulation and resolution of financial markets and financial institutions. Authors from both academia and policy circles explore these innovations through four approaches: 'Bank Capital Regulation' examines the Basel III agreement; 'Bank Resolution' focuses on effective regimes for regulating and resolving ailing banks; 'Central Banking with Collateral-Based Finance' develops thought on the challenges that market-based finance pose for the conduct of central banking; and 'Where Next for Central Banking' examines the trajectory of central banking and its new, central role in sustaining capitalism.
- Banks and banking, Central
- Banks and banking, Central—Law and legislation
- Banks and banking, Central—History—21st century
- BUSINESS & ECONOMICS—Finance
- BUSINESS & ECONOMICS—Banks & Banking
- Economics, finance, business and management
- Economic and financial crises and disasters Mod Economic and financial crises and disasters
- 9781783083602 (electronic bk.), 1783083603 (electronic bk.), 9781783083046 (hardcover ; alk. paper), and 1783083042 (hardcover ; alk. paper)
- Knowledge Unlatched
View MARC record | catkey: 27682187