Democratic experiments : problematizing nanotechnology and democracy in Europe and the United States / Brice Laurent
- Laurent, Brice
- Cambridge, Massachusetts : The MIT Press, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xviii, 261 pages).
- Inside technology
- Restrictions on Access:
- Open Access Unrestricted online access
- Colloidal quantum dots: synthesis, photophysical properties, and biofunctionalization strategies -- Colloidal chemical synthesis of organic-dispersible uniform magnetic nanoparticles -- Peptide-functionalized quantum dots for live diagnostic imaging and therapeutic applications -- Resonance energy transfer-based sensing using quantum dot bioconjugates -- Use of luminescent quantum dots to image and initiate biological functions -- Single particle investigation of biological processes using QD-bioconjugates -- Assessment of the issues related to the toxicity of quantum dots -- Chemical and biological sensing based on gold nanoparticles -- Plasmon-resonant gold nanorods: photophysical properties applied toward biological imaging and therapy -- Magnetic nanoparticles in biomedical applications -- Magnetic nanoparticles -- assisted cellular MR imaging and their biomedical applications.
- This book looks at the democratic constructions surrounding public debates about issues related to scientific and technological development, specifically in this case nanotechnology. Brice Laurent argues that nanotechnology is a lens through which one can build a theoretical and practical approach to the study of contemporary democracies, exploring the joint production of nanotechnology itself and democratic order and identifying questions related to the exercise of citizenship, forms of national sovereignty, and channels of political legitimacy. This book helps increase visibility of and accessibility to STS methodologies for scholars and practitioners outside the field of science, technology, and society.
- Nanotechnology—Political aspects—European Union countries
- Nanotechnology—Political aspects—United States
- Nanotechnology—Government policy—European Union countries
- Nanotechnology—Government policy—United States
- Science and state—European Union countries
- Science and state—United States
- Democracy—European Union countries
- Democracy—United States
- TECHNOLOGY & ENGINEERING—Nanotechnology & MEMS
9780262035767 (hardcover ; alkaline paper)
0262035766 (hardcover ; alkaline paper)
- Knowledge Unlatched
View MARC record | catkey: 27682335