The big data agenda : data ethics and critical data studies / Annika Richterich
- Richterich, Annika
- London : University of Westminster Press, 2018.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (iv, 148 pages).
- CDSMS (Critical digital and social media studies)
- Restrictions on Access:
- Open Access Unrestricted online access
- "This book highlights that the capacity for gathering, analysing, and utilising vast amounts of digital (user) data raises significant ethical issues. Annika Richterich provides a systematic contemporary overview of the field of critical data studies that reflects on practices of digital data collection and analysis. The book assesses in detail one big data research area: biomedical studies, focused on epidemiological surveillance. Specific case studies explore how big data have been used in academic work. The Big Data Agenda concludes that the use of big data in research urgently needs to be considered from the vantage point of ethics and social justice. Drawing upon discourse ethics and critical data studies, Richterich argues that entanglements between big data research and technology/ internet corporations have emerged. In consequence, more opportunities for discussing and negotiating emerging research practices and their implications for societal values are needed. An electronic version of this book is freely available, thanks to the support of libraries working with Knowledge Unlatched. KU is a collaborative initiative designed to make high quality books Open Access for the public good. More information about the initiative and details about KU's Open Access programme can be found at www.knowledgeunlatched.org."
- Media studies
- Ethical and social aspects of IT Mod Ethical and social aspects of IT.
- Epidemiology and medical statistics
- Medical bioinformatics New
- Ethical issues and debates
- Big data—Moral and ethical aspects
- Technology—Moral and ethical aspects
- Computer science—Moral and ethical aspects
- SOCIAL SCIENCE / Media Studies
- 9781911534730 (electronic bk.)
1911534734 (electronic bk.)
9781911534723 (electronic bk.)
1911534726 (electronic bk.)
9781911534976 (electronic bk.)
1911534971 (electronic bk.)
9781911534747 (electronic bk.)
1911534742 (electronic bk.)
- Knowledge Unlatched
- Copyright Note:
- This work is licensed by Knowledge Unlatched under a Creative Commons license https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/legalcode
View MARC record | catkey: 27682596