Migrating fictions : gender, race, and citizenship in U.S. internal displacements / Abigail G.H. Manzella
- Manzella, Abigail G. H.
- Columbus : The Ohio State University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xi, 223 pages)
- Restrictions on Access:
- Open Access Unrestricted online access
- Introduction: The "unprecedented" internal U.S. migrations of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries -- The economic and environmental displacements during the great migration: precarious citizenship and Hurston's Their eyes were watching God -- The environmental displacement of the Dust Bowl: from the Yeoman myth to collective respect and Babb's Whose names are unknown -- The wartime displacement of Japanese American incarceration: disorientation and Otsuka's When the emperor was divine -- The economic displacement of Mexican American migrant labor: disembodied criminality to embodied spirituality and Viramontes's Under the feet of Jesus -- Afterword: The mobility poor of Hurricane Katrina: salvaging the family and Ward's Salvage the bones.
- In Migrating Fictions, Manzella turns to U.S. Women's literature that represents internal migrations in the US in the twentieth century. This project situates itself within the "spatial turn" of literary studies to analyze the way the U.S has displayed a history of spatial colonization, which we see as a pattern we turn to a variety of seemingly disconnected forced migrations. With chapters that focus on migrations related the Dust Bowl, the Great Migration, the migration of peoples placed in Japanese American internment camps, and the migration of Southwestern migrant labor, Manzella makes some fascinating connections across narratives that would not typically be brought together. Ultimately, this project lays bare the oppressive practices of U.S. policy and reveals the resistance individual groups accessed as they completed these internal migrations.
- 9780814275993 (electronic bk.)
0814275990 (electronic bk.)
9780814275986 (electronic bk.)
0814275982 (electronic bk.)
9780814213582 (electronic bk.)
0814213588 (electronic bk.)
9780814254608 (pbk. ; alk. paper)
0814254608 (pbk. ; alk. paper)
- Knowledge Unlatched
- Copyright Note:
- This work is licensed by Knowledge Unlatched under a Creative Commons license https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/legalcode
View MARC record | catkey: 27682660