Sexual states : governance and the decriminalization of sodomy in India's present / Jyoti Puri
- Puri, Jyoti
- Durham : Duke University Press, 2016.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (x, 222 pages).
- Next wave
- Restrictions on Access:
- Open Access Unrestricted online access
- Governing sexuality, constituting states -- Engendering social problems, exposing sexuality's effects on biopolitical states -- State scripts : antisodomy law and the annals of law and law enforcement -- "Half truths" : racializations, habitual criminals, and the police -- Pivoting toward the state : phase one of the struggle against section -- State versus sexuality : decriminalizing and recriminalizing homosexuality in the postliberalized context.
- In Sexual States Jyoti Puri uses the example of the recent efforts to decriminalize homosexuality in India to show how the regulation of sexuality is fundamentally tied to the creation and enduring existence of the Indian state. This title was made Open Access by libraries from around the world through Knowledge Unlatched. In Sexual States Jyoti Puri uses the example of the efforts to decriminalize homosexuality in India to show how the regulation of sexuality is fundamentally tied to the creation and enduring existence of the state. Between 2001 and 2013 activists attempted to rewrite section 377 of the Indian Penal Code, which outlaws homosexual behavior. Having interviewed activists and NGO workers throughout five metropolitan centers, investigated crime statistics at the National Crime Records Bureau, visited various state institutions, and met with the police, Puri found that section 377 is but one element of the large and complex systems of laws, practices, policies, and discourses that regulate Indian sexuality. Intended to mitigate sexuality's threat to the social order, this regulation works to preserve the views of the state as inevitable, legitimate, and indispensable. By highlighting the various means through which the regulation of sexuality constitutes India's heterogeneous and fragmented "sexual state," Puri provides a conceptual framework to understand the links between sexuality and the state more broadly.
- 9780822374749 (electronic bk.), 0822374749 (electronic bk.), 9780822360261 (hardcover ; alk. paper), 0822360268 (hardcover ; alk. paper), 9780822360438 (pbk. ; alk. paper), and 0822360438 (pbk. ; alk. paper)
- Knowledge Unlatched
View MARC record | catkey: 27683051