Social justice and Israel/Palestine : foundational and contemporary debates / edited by Aaron J. Hahn Tapper and Mira Sucharov
- Toronto ; Buffalo ; London : University of Toronto Press, 
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 275 pages ; 23 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Hahn Tapper, Aaron J. (Aaron Joshua) and Sucharov, Mira
- Cover; Title Page; Copyright; Contents; About the Editors; Acknowledgements; Introduction; Part I: Foundational Debates; 1. Narratives; Introduction; Alan Dowty, "Competing Narratives and Social Justice"; George E. Bisharat, "Six Useful Pasts"; Samia Shoman, "Beyond Two Sides"; 2. Self-Determination; Introduction; Brent E. Sasley, "Identity-Based States and the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict"; Ran Greenstein, "The Right to National Self-Determination and Israel/Palestine"; Thea Renda Abu El-Haj, "Considering Rights and Self-Determination in Light of Injustice and Unequal Power", 3. Settler ColonialismIntroduction; Sam Fleischacker, "Interrogating the Limits of the Settler-Colonialist Paradigm"; As'ad Ghanem and Tariq Khateeb, "Israel in One Century-From a Colonial Project to a Complex Reality"; 4. International Law; Introduction; Michael Lynk, "International Law and the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict: Closer to Power than Justice"; Lisa Hajjar, "International Law and Fifty Years of Occupation"; Miriam F. Elman, "Israel's Compliance with the Rule of Law: Settlements, Security, Defense Operations, and Religious Freedom"; Part II: Contemporary Debates, Refugees and DisplacementIntroduction; Roula El-Rifai, "Navigating the Palestinian Refugee Issue: An Insider's Guide"; Shayna Zamkanei, "Are Jews Displaced from Arab Countries 'Refugees'?"; Safa Aburabia, "The Bedouin Struggle over Land in Palestine/Israel: Men of the Nakba Generation Narrate Their Attachment to Land"; 6. Apartheid; Introduction; Oren Kroll-Zeldin, "Does Israel Function as an Apartheid State? Critically Engaging the Complexities of the Apartheid Debate in Palestine/Israel"; Zeina M. Barakat and Mohammed S. Dajani Daoudi, "Israel and Palestine: Occupation Not Apartheid", and 7. Intersectional AlliancesIntroduction; Joey Ayoub, "Black-Palestinian Solidarity: Towards an Intersectionality of Struggles"; Aziza Khazzoom, "Cultural Commonalities, Colonial Divisions: On Sources of Solidarity between Palestinians and Jews from the Middle East"; Yousef Munayyer, "Alternate Bipolarity: How Israel Found Itself on the Wrong Side of the Global Divide"; 8. BDS (Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions); Introduction; Tom Pessah, "BDS: A Diverse Movement in Support of Human Rights"; Rachel Fish, "BDS: Binaries, Divisions, and Silencing"
- "This book critically assesses a series of complex and topical debates helping readers make sense of some of the most foundational and contemporary ideas around the politics of the Israeli-Palestinian relationship. Each chapter considers one topic, represented by two or three essays offered in conversation with one another. Together, these essays advance different perspectives; in some cases they are complementary and in others they are oppositional. Topics include scholarly and activist interpretations of communal narratives, assessing the concept of self-determination for Jewish Israelis and Palestinians, addressing the debate over settler-colonialism as an appropriate framework for interpreting the history of Israel/Palestine, an analysis of international law and related issues, questions surrounding Palestinian and Jewish refugees and the impact of displacement, the debate over the apartheid label, the phenomenon of intersectionality, including the dynamics of allies and alliances, and a close look at BDS (Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions) as a set of tactics. Through these four foundational and contemporary topics, readers will be challenged to examine critically the strengths and weaknesses of each position in light of scholarly debates rooted in social justice, and helped to gain a deeper understanding of the relationship between Israelis and Palestinians in order to see a path forward--towards justice for all."--
- 9781487588069 (paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 27686550