Geriatric Diseases [electronic resource] : Evaluation and Management / by Nages Nagaratnam, Kujan Nagaratnam, Gary Cheuk
- Nagaratnam, Nages
- Cham : Springer International Publishing : Imprint: Springer, 2019.
- Physical Description:
- online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Nagaratnam, Kujan, Cheuk, Gary, and SpringerLink (Online service)
- Introduction to cardiovascular disease -- Cardiac failure in the elderly -- Cardiac arrythmias in the elderly -- Infective endocarditis in the elderly -- Coronary heart disease in the elderly -- Valvular heart disease in the elderly -- Hypertension in the elderly -- Peripheral arterial disease in the elderly -- Introduction to respiratory diseases -- Pneumonia in the elderly -- Chronic obstructive airway disease -- Chronic asthma -- Carcinoma of the lung -- Pulmonary embolism -- Introduction to the gastrointestinal system -- Oesophagus and oesophageal disorders -- Peptic ulcer -- Colorectal cancer -- Inflammatory bowel disease in older adults -- Introduction to the hepato-biliary system -- Viral hepatitis in the elderly -- Chronic liver disease in the elderly -- Ascites in the elderly -- Obstructive jaundice in the elderly -- Introduction to blood disorders -- The Anaemias -- Haematological neoplastic disorders -- Introduction to renal and lower urinary tract disorders -- Glomerular disease in the elderly -- Renovascular disease -- Acute renal failure -- Chronic renal failure -- Prostate gland and related disorders -- Sexuality sexual dysfunction in the elderly -- Introduction to chronic neurological disorders -- Pasrkinson's disease,Secondary Parkinsons and Parkinson plus syndromes -- Multisystem atrophy -- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis -- Multiple sclerosis -- Polyneuropathy -- Epilepsy in the elderly -- Disorders in neuromuscular transmission -- Introduction to metabolic bone disorders -- Osteoporosis -- Osteomalacia -- Osteoporotic fractures and management -- Paget's disease -- Introduction to endocrine disorders -- Diabetes Mellitus -- Thyroid disorders -- Hyperparathyroidism -- Introduction to electrolyte and mineral metabolism disorders -- Sodium metabolism -- Potassium metabolism -- Calcium metabolism -- Introduction to the musculo-skeletal system -- Neck pain (Cervical) -- Low back pain (Lumbosacral) -- Shoulder pain -- Hip pain -- Knee pain -- Introduction to arthritides -- Rheumatoid Arthritis -- Polymyalgia Rheumatica -- Psoriatic arthropathy -- Osteoarthritis -- Crystal induced arthritis -- Vasculitis -- General considerations -- Systemic lupus erythematosus -- Systemic sclerosis -- Sjogren's syndrome -- Overlap syndromes -- Introduction to organic brain disorders -- Anatomical and physiological changes with aging-Brain -- Acute confusional state -- Chronic organic disorders-Dementias -- General considerations -- Neurodegenerative dementias -- Vascular dementias -- Symptomatic dementias -- Behavioural and psychological symptoms of demented (BPSD) -- Drug management of dementias -- Mild Cognitive Impairment -- Introduction to psychiatry and functional disorders -- Mood disorders (Major depression, bipolar disorders) -- Anxiety and Anxiety disorders -- Paranoia in the elderly -- Substance abuse -- Suicide in the elderly -- Introduction to cerebrovascular disease -- Stroke in the elderly -- Diagnosis management and complications -- Transient Ischaemic Attack (TIA) -- Long term sequel post-stroke -- Prevention of stroke -- General considerations -- Anatomy of the ear -- Common ear problems in the elderly -- Vertigo/dizziness in the elderly -- Tinnitus -- Introduction to vision care -- Anatomy of the eye -- Common eye problems in the elderly -- Blurred vision -- Dry eye -- Red eye -- Introduction to skin diseases -- Anatomy and physiology of the skin -- Common skin diseases in the elderly -- Parasitosis -- Pruritis in the elderly -- Introduction to oral care -- Anatomy of the tooth -- Oral issues in the elderly -- Related disorders -- Oral manifestations of system disease.
- This volume provides a comprehensive overview of the unique clinical entities of diseases in older patients. The book arranges the organ systems in 21 sections, which include over 100 collective chapters on various age-related diseases in these organ systems. The text is specifically designed for ease-of-use and include learning tools that include multiple choice, short answer, and extended matching questions, case vignettes, self-assessments, and rich tables and illustrations. Each section includes a review of the anatomy, physiology and pathology that are specific to aging patients. The text covers the complex factors that present diagnosis challenges, including the interaction of the disease process with co-existing morbidities, aged- related physiological changes and pre-existing functional challenges and psychosocial circumstances. The text also works with the previously published text Diseases in the Elderly: Age-Related Changes and Pathophysiology, which is tailored to complement this resource. Written by experts in the field, Geriatric Diseases: Clinical Expression, Management and Impact is the ultimate guide on clinical expression and management of diseases in the elderly for medical students, residents, fellows, geriatricians, gerontologists, primary care physicians, internal medicine specialists, emergency room physicians, specialist nurses, and all other physicians and medical professionals treating older patients.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
View MARC record | catkey: 27689970