Garden history : a very short introduction / Gordon Campbell
- Campbell, Gordon, 1944-
- Uniform Title:
- Short history of gardens
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2019.
- Copyright Date:
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- xviii, 162 pages : illustrations ; 18 cm.
- Very short introductions ; 595
- Introduction -- 1. The ancient and medieval garden -- 2. The Islamic garden -- 3. The East Asian garden -- 4. Italy -- 5. France -- 6. Spain and Portugal -- 7. Northern Europe -- 8. Britain -- 9. America, Africa, and Australia -- Postscript: The future history of the garden -- Glossary.
- Gardens take many forms, and have a variety of functions. They can serve as spaces of peace and tranquilty, a way to cultivate wildlife, or as places to develop agricultural resources. Globally, gardens have inspired, comforted, and sustained people from all walks of life, and since the Garden of Eden many iconic gardens have inspired great artists, poets, musicians, and writers. This book embraces gardens in all their splendour, from parks, and fruit and vegetable gardens to ornamental gardens, and takes the reader on a globe-trotting historical journey through iconic and cultural signposts of gardens from different regions and traditions. Ranging from the gardens of ancient Persia to modern day allotments, he concludes by looking to the future of the garden in the age of global warming, and the adaptive spirit of human innovation.
- 9780199689873 (paperback)
- "First published in hardback as A Short History of Gardens, 2016."--Title page verso.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 141-148) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 27694647