Dynamics of Long-Life Assets [electronic resource]: From Technology Adaptation to Upgrading the Business Model
- New York : Springer May 2017
- Physical Description:
- xxvi, 356 p. ill 23.500 x 015.500 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Grosser, Stefan, Reyes Lecuona, Arcadio, and Granholm, Goran
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Annotation This book is published under a CC BY-NC 4.0 license. The editors present essential methods and tools to support a holistic approach to the challenge of system upgrades and innovation in the context of high-value products and services. The approach presented here is based on three main pillars: an adaptation mechanism based on a broad understanding of system dependencies; efficient use of system knowledge through involvement of actors throughout the process; and technological solutions to enable efficient actor communication and information handling.The book provides readers with a better understanding of the factors that influence decisions, and put forward solutions to facilitate the rapid adaptation to changes in the business environment and customer needs through intelligent upgrade interventions. Further, it examines a number of sample cases from various contexts including car manufacturing, utilities, shipping and the furniture industry. The book offers a valuable resource for both academics and practitioners interested in the upgrading of capital-intensive products and services."The work performed in the project "Use-It-Wisely (UiW)" significantly contributes towards a collaborative way of working. Moreover, it offers comprehensive system modelling to identify business opportunities and develop technical solutions within industrial value networks. The developed UiW-framework fills a void and offers a great opportunity. The naval construction sector of small passenger vessels, for instance, is one industry that can benefit."Nikitas Nikitakos, Professor at University of the Aegean, Department of Shipping, Trade, and Transport, Greece."Long-life assets are crucial for both the future competiveness and sustainability of society. Make wrong choices now and you are locked into a wrong system for a long time. Make the right choices now and society can prosper. This book gives important information about how manufacturers can make right choices."Arnold Tukker, Scientific director, Institute of Environmental Sciences (CML), Leiden University, and senior scientist, TNO.
- 9783319454375 and 3319454374 (Trade Cloth)
- Audience Notes:
- Trade Springer
View MARC record | catkey: 27702678