Higher Education in 2040 [electronic resource] : A Global Approach / Bert van der Zwaan
- van der Zwaan, Bert
- Amsterdam : Amsterdam University Press, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (256 p.)
- Language Note:
- In English.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Frontmatter -- Table of contents -- Introduction: a sinking ship? -- Part 1. Ancient problems and modern dilemmas -- Part 2. The key factors in the coming decades -- Part 3. Contours of the university of the future -- Conclusion: the transition to 2040 -- Bibliography
- Since the Middle Ages, universities have displayed impressive resourcefulness in their ability to adapt to the changing dynamics and demands of their times. But in the last fifty years, the landscape of higher education - with the emergence of online and mass education, skyrocketing tuition, and a controversial system for ranking institutions - has begun evolving so rapidly and profoundly that the concept of the university now needs to be rethought. This book explores the future of modern higher education by looking at it on a global scale. Bert van der Zwaan compares European developments with those taking place in North America and Asia to argue that the phoenix of an entirely new type of university will rise from the ashes of the classical system: less tied to buildings and set locations, the new university will embed itself more deeply in society by offering innovative forms of digital knowledge and making customized teaching available on demand. A timely discussion of a topic whose worldwide impact continues to grow, this is essential reading for anyone concerned about the state of higher education - both for today's students and in the decades to come.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
- This eBook is made available Open Access under a CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 license: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0https://www.aup.nl/en/publish/open-access
View MARC record | catkey: 27704129