Mitchell's map of the United States [cartographic material] : showing the principal travelling turnpike and common roads, on which are given the distances in miles from one place to another, also the courses of the canals & rail roads throughout the country, carefully compiled from the best authorities
- Mitchell, S. Augustus (Samuel Augustus), 1792-1868
- Philadelphia : S.A. Mitchell : Sold by Mitchell & Hinman, [1836?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 map : cloth ; 45 x 58 cm, on sheet 73 x 80 cm
- Cartographic Mathematical Data:
- Scale approximately 1:4,800,000 (W 96ʻ--W 64ʻ/N 48ʻ--N 28ʻ).
- Shows longitude west from Greenwich and Washington.
"Entered according to Act of Congress, in the year 1835, by S. Augustus Mitchell ..."
The paper edition of this map appears in Bishop Davenport's A New Gazetteer, or Geographical Dictionary of North America . . . (Philadelphia, 1836). [From published bibliography]
Includes distance table below the title.
Insets: Environs of Niagara Falls. 7 x 7 cm.--Environs of Baltimore and Washington. 9 x 7 cm.--Environs of Charleston. 9 x 6 cm.--Environs of Hartford and New Haven. 3 x 3 cm.--Environs of Albany. 7 x 7 cm.--Environs of Boston. 9 x 7 cm.--Environs of New York. 9 x 6 cm.--Environs of Philadelphia. 9 x 6 cm. [From published bibliography]
LC copy imperfect: Faded and stained.
LC copy has the name "Emeline Miller" embroidered in lower right corner of sheet and the name "E. Miller" stamped on, in upper left corner of sheet.
- Other Forms:
- Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image.
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- LC Railroad maps, 5
View MARC record | catkey: 2782038