Wittgenstein's beetle and other classic thought experiments / Martin Cohen
- Cohen, Martin, 1964-
- Malden, MA : Blackwell Pub., 2005.
- Physical Description:
- ix, 135 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- A is for Alice and astronomers arguing about acceleration in a hole through the earth -- B is for Bernard's body-exchange machine -- C is for the Catholic cannibal -- D is for Maxwell's demon -- E is for evolution (and an embarrassing problem with it) -- F is for the forms lost forever to the prisoners in the cave -- G is for Galileo's gravitational balls -- H is for Hume's shades -- I is for the identity of indiscernibles -- J is for Henri Poincaré and alternative geometries -- K is for the Kritik and Kant's kind of thought experiments -- L is for Lucretius' spear -- M is for Mach's motionless chain -- N is for Newton's bucket -- O is for Olbers' paradox -- P is for Parfit's person -- Q is for the questions raised by thought experiments quotidiennes -- R is for the rule-ruled room -- S is for Salvatius' ship, proceeding serenely along its own space-time line -- T is for the time-travelling twins -- U is for the universe, and Einstein's attempts to understand it -- V is for the vexed case of the needy violinist -- W is for Wittgenstein's beetle -- X is for xenophanes and thinking by examples -- Y is for counterfactuals and a backwards approach to history -- Z is for Zeno and the mysteries of infinity.
- 1405121912 (hardcover : alk. paper)
1405121920 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 2786815