Shamanism, Catholicism and gender relations in colonial Philippines 1521-1685 / Carolyn Brewer
- Brewer, Carolyn
- Aldershot, Hants, England ; Burlington, VT : Ashgate, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xxviii, 240 pages : illustrations, 1 map ; 23 cm.
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Women and gender in the early modern world
- Magellan's legacy -- Contact and morals -- 'Good' and 'bad' women -- Confession and flagellation -- Contact and the Baylan -- Contact, conversion and the Baylan -- Evil (and) old women -- Transvestism and the 'third sex/gender' space -- Contact and the Inquisition -- The archbishop, the priest, the Holy Inquisition and resistance -- Holy confrontation: religion and gender in Bolinao.
- 075463437X (alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -234) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 2789197