Muslims' place in the American public square : hope, fears, and aspirations / edited by Zahid H. Bukhari [and others].
- Walnut Creek, CA : AltaMira Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xlii, 396 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Bukhari, Zahid Hussain
- Pt. 1. Theoretical perspectives on the Muslim experience in the United States. Toward a fiqh for minorities: some reflections / Taha Jabir Al-Alwani -- Living as Muslim in a pluralistic society and state: theory and experience / Omar Khalidi -- Conceptual discourse: living as a Muslim in a pluralistic society / Aminah Beverly McCloud -- Living on borderlines: Islam beyond the clash and dialogue of civilizations / M.A. Muqtedar Khan. Pt. 2. The mainstreaming of American Muslims: historical and sociological understanding. Muslims between the Jewish example and the black experience: American policy implications / Ali A. Mazrui -- Muslims in the American body politic / Mohammed Nimer -- Muslims as partners in interfaith encounter / Jane I. Smith. Pt. 3. Islam and the black experience in America. Preliminary reflections on Islam and black religion / Sherman A. Jackson -- Islam among African Americans: an overview / Zafar Ishaq Ansari -- The West African paradox / Sylviane A. Diouf. Pt. 4. On locating Muslims in the American landscape: demographic and behavioral aspects. Muslim Americans: a demographic report / Ilyas Ba-Yunus and Kassim Kone -- The mosque and the American public square / Ihsan Bagby -- Governance in Muslim community organizations / Iqbal J. Unus.
- 0759106126 (alk. paper) and 0759106134 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 2791781