The vvhole Booke of Psalmes / faithfully translated into English metre. ; Whereunto is prefixed a discourse declaring not only the lawfullness, but also the necessity of the heavenly ordinance of singing Scripture psalmes in the churches of God. ; [Seven lines of Scripture texts].
- Uniform Title:
- Bible. Psalms. English. Bay Psalm book. 1640
- Additional Titles:
- Commonly referred to as: Bay Psalm book and Whole Booke of Psalmes
- [Cambridge, Mass.] : [Stephen Day], Imprinted 1640.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (296 unnumbered pages)
- Additional Creators:
- Cotton, John, 1584-1652, Mather, Richard, 1596-1669, Eliot, John, 1604-1690, and Weld, Thomas, 1590?-1662
- The first book printed in British North America, commonly known as the Bay Psalm book. Translated by Richard Mather, John Eliot, and Thomas Weld, among others. The preface is usually attributed to Mather, but this is disputed by Zoltan Haraszti, who attributes it to John Cotton. Cf. Haraszti's The enigma of the Bay Psalm book, 1956, p. 12-27., Printed at the press in Cambridge, Mass., supervised by Stephen Day (variously Daye). Day's son Matthew may have been responsible for the actual printing., and "Faults escaped in printing." Unnumbered page 295.
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Evans 4, STC (2nd ed.) 2738, and Holmes, T.J. Minor Mathers, 53-A.
View MARC record | catkey: 27971855