Tsar and God and other essays in Russian cultural semiotics / Boris Uspenskij and Victor Zhivov ; translated from Russian by Marcus C. Levitt, David Budgen, and Liv Bliss
- Uspenskiĭ, B. A. (Boris Andreevich)
- Boston : Academic Studies Press, 2012.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (volumes 272 pages).
- Additional Creators:
- Zhivov, V. M., Levitt, Marcus C., 1954-, Budgen, D. (David), and Bliss, Liv
- Language Note:
- Translated from the Russian.
- Restrictions on Access:
- Open Access Unrestricted online access
- Tsar and God : semiotic aspects of the sacralization of the monarch in Russia / B.A. Uspenskij and V.M. Zhivov. The sacralization of the monarch in the context of historical and cultural development ; The sacralization of the monarch as a semiotic process ; The civil cult of the monarch in the system of Baroque culture ; Conclusions ; Notes -- Tsar and pretender : Samozvanchestvo or royal imposture in Russia as a cultural-historical phenomenon / B.A. Uspenskij ; Notes -- Enthronement in the Russian and Byzantine traditions / B.A. Uspenskij ; Notes -- Europe as a metaphor and metonymy (in relation to the history of Russia) / B.A. Uspenskij ; Notes -- Cultural reforms in Peter's I's system of transformations / V.M. Zhivov. Cultural reforms and semiotic propaganda ; Innovations in church ritual ; The civil cult ; Parody and blasphemy as rituals of the public sphere ; Blasphemy in the paradigm of the new power ; Concluding remarks ; Notes -- The myth of the state in the Age of Enlightenment and its destruction in late eighteenth-century Russia / V.M. Zhivov ; Notes.
- Featuring a number of distinguished essays by internationally known Russian cultural historians Boris Uspenskij and Victor Zhivov, this collection encompasses various ground-breaking works appearing in English for the first time. Focusing on several of the most interesting and problematic aspects of Russia's cultural development, these essays examine the survival and reconceptualization of Russia's past in later systems, and some of the key transformations of Russian cultural consciousness. This volume contains important examples of cultural semiotics and indispensable contributions to the history of Russian civilization.
- Orthodox Eastern Church—Russia—History
- Orthodox Eastern Church
- Semiotics—Russia—Religious aspects
- Religion and culture—Russia
- Language and culture—Russia
- LANGUAGE ARTS & DISCIPLINES—Communication Studies
- LITERARY CRITICISM—Russian & Former Soviet Union
- Language and culture
- Religion and culture
- Semiotics—Religious aspects
- Kulturelles System
- Russia (Federation)
- 1618111248 (electronic bk.)
9781618111241 (electronic bk.)
9781618116703 (electronic bk.)
1618116703 (electronic bk.)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- data file
- Form of work:
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (page 259) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 27972360