Caretaker conventions in Australasia : minding the shop for government / authors, Anne Tiernan, Jennifer Menzies
- Tiernan, Anne, 1968-
- Acton, A.C.T. : ANU E Press, 2007.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Menzies, Jennifer
- www.jstor.org , Open Access
- Language Note:
- Restrictions on Access:
- Open Access Unrestricted online access
- What are conventions? -- Origins of caretaker conventions -- When do the conventions apply? -- Caretaker conventions: an overview of Australian jurisdictions -- Caretaker conventions: an overview of New Zealand and local government arrangements -- Forces influencing the observance of caretaker conventions -- A changing practice? -- Caretaker conventions and the future of responsible government.
- "This monograph by Anne Tiernan and Jennifer Menzies represents a substantial review of the rules and conventions applying in the lead-up to elections. Standards of behaviour at these times, including processes of decision-making, are important to our democratic system. They protect the apolitical and professional nature of the public service ensuring it is well placed to serve whichever party wins the ensuing election, and they ensure the incoming government has maximum capacity to pursue its mandate without being unduly constrained by decisions taken immediately before the election. Guidance has long been available to public servants working for the Australian Government, but has not been so widely known at State and local government levels. This monograph provides guidance on appropriate professional standards for those working at all levels of government in Australia (and New Zealand).
- Since 1945
- Public administration—Australia—Decision making
- Public administration—New Zealand—Decision making
- Public administration—Australia
- Public administration—New Zealand
- Elections—New Zealand
- Politics and government
- Society and social sciences Society and social sciences
- POLITICAL SCIENCE—Political Process—Elections
- Public administration
- Public administration—Decision making
- Government - Asia
- Government - Non-U.S.
- Law, Politics & Government
- Australia—Politics and government—1945-
- New Zealand—Politics and government—21st century
- New Zealand
- 9781921313509 (electronic bk.)
1921313501 (electronic bk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 27973051