The economics of quarantine and the SPS Agreement / edited by Kym Anderson, Cheryl McRae and David Wilson
- Adelaide, South Australia : University of Adelaide Press, 2012.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xv, 414 pages)
- Additional Creators:
- Anderson, Kym, McRae, C. F. (Cheryl F.), Wilson, David (David William), 1947-, University of Adelaide. Centre for International Economic Studies, and Biosecurity Australia
- Language Note:
- Restrictions on Access:
- Open Access Unrestricted online access
- 1. Introduction / Kym Anderson, Cheryl McRae and David Wilson -- Part I: The multilateral rules under WTO -- The integration of economics into SPS risk management policies: issues and challenges/ Donna Roberts -- The analytical foundation of quarantine risk analysis / Mike J. Nunn -- The WTO dispute settlement framework and operation / Gretchen Heimpel Stanton -- Implications of recent SPS dispute settlement cases / Gavin Goh and Andreas Ziegler -- Part II: The 'appropriate level of protection'. Appropriate level of protection: a European perspective / Spencer Henson -- Appropriate level of protection: an Australian perspective / Digby Gascoine -- Appropriate level of protection: a New Zealand perspective / Hugh R. Bigsby -- Beyond iso-risk to include benefits under the SPS Agreement / Gil Rodriguez, Nico Klijn, Anna Heaney and Stephen Beare -- Integrating import risk and trade benefit analysis / Richard H. Snape and David Orden -- Part III: Adding more economics to risk analysis. Least trade-restrictive SPS policies: an analytic framework is there but questions remain / David Orden, Clare Narrod and Joseph W. Glauber -- Quarantine decision making in Australia / Monika Binder -- Quarantine reform: Australia's recent experience / Carolyn Tanner -- Evaluating economic consequences of livestock diseases: a US perspective / Kenneth W. Forsythe Jr. -- IV. Specific health and environmental risks from trade. 15. Measuring the effect of food safety standards on African exports to Europe / Tsunehiro Otsuki, John S. Wilson and Mirvat Sewadeh -- GMOs, the SPS Agreement and the WTO / Kym Anderson and Chantal Pohl Nielsen -- Food safety policy in the WTO era / Sallie James -- Environmental risk evaluation in quarantine decision making / John D. Mumford -- Part V: Conclusion. Summing up / David Robertson -- Appendix: The legal text of the SPS Agreement.
- This collection resulted from an international workshop funded and organised by Biosecurity Australia, the agency of government responsible for analysing Australia's quarantine import risks and for negotiating multilateral SPS rules and less restrictive access to overseas markets for Australian produce. The workshop, which was held at the Melbourne Business School on 24-25 October 2000, brought together a distinguished group of applied economists and quarantine policy analysts whose focus involves regions as disparate as Europe, North America, Africa, Asia and New Zealand, in addition to Australia.
- World Trade Organization—Congresses
- World Trade Organization
- International trade—Congresses
- Economic growth
- Economics, finance, business and management
- BUSINESS & ECONOMICS—International—Economics
- International trade
- 9781922064325 (electronic bk.)
1922064327 (electronic bk.)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- data file
- "This collection resulted from an international workshop funded and organised by Biosecurity Australia ... held at the Melbourne Business School on 24-25 October 2000"--Preface.
"Originally published by the Centre for International Economic Studies, The University of Adelaide, and Biosecurity Australia"--Title page verso.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 27973889