From the Ground Up : a History of Mining in Utah / edited by Colleen Whitley ; foreword by Philip F. Notarianni
- Logan, UT : Utah State University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xiv, 506 pages, 3 unnumbered leaves of plates) : illustrations, maps (some color)
- Additional Creators:
- Whitley, Colleen, 1940-
- Restrictions on Access:
- Open Access Unrestricted online access
- I. The ground of Utah mining. Geology and Utah's mineral treasures / William T. Parry -- Generating wealth from the earth, 1847-2000 / Thomas G. Alexander -- General Patrick Edward Conner, father of Utah mining / Brigham D. Madsen -- The stories they tell / Carma Wadley -- II. Some mineral industries. Saline minerals / J. Wallace Gwynn -- Coal industry / Allan Kent Powell -- Uranium boom / Raye C. Ringholz -- Beryllium mining / Debra Wagner -- III. Major mining regions. Iron County / Janet Burton Seegmiller -- Bingham Canyon / Bruce D. Whitehead and Robert E. Rampton -- Silver Reef and southwestern Utah's shifting frontier / W. Paul Reeve -- Alta, the Cottonwoods, and American Fork / Laurence P. James and James E. Fell, Jr. -- Park City / Hal Compton and David Hampshire -- Tintic Mining District / Philip F. Notarianni -- San Francisco Mining District / Martha Sonntag Bradley-Evans -- Uinta Basin / John Barton.
- Despite all mining has done and meant in Utah, there has not been, until now, a book that surveyed its history in Utah. This collection of essays by leading experts is divided into three comprehensive parts. Part I looks at the geology that has produced extractable minerals, the economic history of the industry, and the lore of mines and miners. Part II reviews the history of a handful of particularly significant mineral industries: salines, coal, uranium, and beryllium. The last part takes a region-by-region approach to survey the important, primarily for hard-rock mining, areas of the state.
0874216397 (pbk. ; alk. paper)
9780874216394 (pbk. ; alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 456-482) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 27974527