Improving school leadership through support, evaluation, and incentives : the Pittsburgh principal incentive program / Laura S. Hamilton [and others].
- Santa Monica, CA : RAND, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Hamilton, Laura S.
- www.jstor.org , Open Access
- Restrictions on Access:
- Open Access Unrestricted online access
- Introduction -- Data sources and analytic approach -- District context and Pittsburgh Principal Incentive Program theory of action -- Capacity-building interventions -- Principals' leadership practices, principals' skills, and school-and-classroom-level responses to the Pittsburgh Principal Incentive Program -- Principals' performance on rubric and achievement measures -- Student achievement trends -- Key findings and recommendations., Cover; Title Page; Copyright; Preface; Contents; Figures; Tables; Summary; Acknowledgments; Abbreviations; CHAPTER ONE: Introduction; What We Know About Relationships Between School Leadership and Student Achievement; The Need for New Systems for Evaluating Principals; Evaluation Questions; Organization of This Report; CHAPTER TWO: Data Sources and Analytic Approach; Data Sources; Principal Surveys; Coach Surveys; Teacher Survey; Interviews with Building-Level Staff; Interviews and Email Communications with District-Level Staff and External Consultants; Reviews of Documentation., Principals' Scores on the Administrators' Performance Standard RubricStudent Data; Analytic Approach; Principal, Coach, and Teacher Survey Data; Factor Analysis; Interviews with Building-Level Staff; District Interviews and Document Review; Rubric, Achievement, and Bonus Data; Method for Linking and Jointly Analyzing Rubric and Achievement Data; Limitations; CHAPTER THREE: District Context and Pittsburgh Principal Incentive Program Theory of Action; District Context and Related Reforms; Theory of Action Overview; Interventions for Building Capacity., Professional Development to Improve LeadershipEvaluation and Feedback; Mechanisms for Evaluation; Mechanisms for Feedback: Assistant Superintendent Coaching; Mechanisms for Feedback: Teaching and Learning Teams; Incentives; Salary Increment; Achievement Bonus; Determination of Bonus Award Amounts; Impact on Principals; Impact on Schools; Impact on Classrooms and Students; CHAPTER FOUR: Capacity-Building Interventions; Professional Development; Evaluation and Feedback; Incentives; Summary of Key Findings., CHAPTER FIVE: Principals' Leadership Practices, Principals' Skills, and School- and Classroom-Level Responses to the Pittsburgh Principal Incentive ProgramChanges in Principals' Leadership Practices and Skills; Principals' Practices; Principals' Perceptions of Their Skills and Need for Support; Other Staff Perceptions of Principals' Leadership; Perceived Role of the Pittsburgh Principal Incentive Program; School- and Classroom-Level Changes; In-School Professional Development; Incorporating Data into Instructional Leadership; Teaching and Learning Teams; Changes in Classrooms; Summary., and CHAPTER SIX: Principals' Performance on Rubric and Achievement MeasuresPrincipals' Performance on the Evaluation Rubric; Principals' Performance on the Achievement Bonus Measures; Bonus Payments and Principals' Mobility; Summary; CHAPTER SEVEN: Student Achievement Trends; Achievement Trends; Addressing Racial/Ethnic and Socioeconomic Achievement Gaps; Summary; CHAPTER EIGHT: Key Findings and Recommendations; Key Findings; What Is the District's Theory of Action Regarding How the Pittsburgh Principal Incentive Program Is Expected to Promote Improved Student Outcomes?
- This report examines the Pittsburgh Principal Incentive Program's implementation, how principals and other school staff have responded to the reforms, and what outcomes accompanied program implementation.
- School improvement programs—Pennsylvania—Pittsburgh—Case studies
- Educational leadership—Pennsylvania—Pittsburgh—Case studies
- Educational change—Pennsylvania—Pittsburgh—Case studies
- School principals—Pennsylvania—Pittsburgh—Case studies
- EDUCATION—Decision-Making & Problem Solving
- HISTORY—United States—State & Local—Middle Atlantic (DC, DE, MD, NJ, NY, PA)
- Educational change
- Educational leadership
- School improvement programs
- School principals
- 9780833076335 (electronic bk.)
0833076337 (electronic bk.)
9780833076342 (electronic bk.)
0833076345 (electronic bk.)
9780833076328 (electronic bk.)
0833076329 (electronic bk.)
0833076175 (pbk. ; alk. paper)
9780833076175 (pbk. ; alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 27975085