In the lands of the Romanovs : an annotated bibliography of first-hand English-language accounts of the Russian Empire (1613-1917) / Anthony Cross
- Cross, Anthony (Anthony Glenn), 1936-
- Cambridge, England : Open Book Publishers, 2014.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (440 pages)
- Restrictions on Access:
- Open Access Unrestricted online access
- List of Illustrations -- Preface -- Introduction -- 1. Reigns of the First Romanovs: Mikhail Fedorovich (1613-1645), Aleksei Mikhailovich (1645-1676), and Fedor Alekseevich (1676-1682) -- 2. Reigns of Peter I (1682-1725), including joint reign with Ivan V (1682-1696) and regency of Sophia (1686-1689), and Catherine I (1725-1727) -- 3. Reigns of Peter II (1727-1730), Anna Ivanovna (1730-1740), Ivan VI (1740-1741), and Elizabeth (1741-1762) -- 4. Reigns of Peter III (1762) and Catherine II (1762-1796) -- 5. Reign of Paul I (1796-1801) -- 6. Reign of Alexander I (1801-1825) -- 7. Reign of Nicholas I (1825-1855) -- 8. The Crimean War (28 March 1854-27 April 1856) -- 9. Reign of Alexander II (1855-1881) -- 10. Reign of Alexander III (1881-1894) -- 11. Reign of Nicholas II (1894-1917) -- Bibliography of Bibliographies -- Index of Authors.
- "Over the course of more than three centuries of Romanov rule in Russia, foreign visitors and residents produced a vast corpus of literature conveying their experiences and impressions of the country. The product of years of painstaking research by one of the world's foremost authorities on Anglo-Russian relations, In the Lands of the Romanovs is the realization of a major bibliographical project that records the details of over 1200 English-language accounts of the Russian Empire. Ranging chronologically from the accession of Mikhail Fedorovich in 1613 to the abdication of Nicholas II in 1917, this is the most comprehensive bibliography of first-hand accounts of Russia ever to be published. Far more than an inventory of accounts by travellers and tourists, Anthony Cross's ambitious and wide-ranging work includes personal records of residence in or visits to Russia by writers ranging from diplomats to merchants, physicians to clergymen, gardeners to governesses, as well as by participants in the French invasion of 1812 and in the Crimean War of 1854-56. Providing full bibliographical details and concise, informative annotation for each entry, this substantial bibliography will be an invaluable tool for anyone with an interest in contacts between Russia and the West during the centuries of Romanov rule."--Publisher's website.
- Bibliographies, catalogues Mod Bibliographies, catalogues
- Eastern Europe
- Encyclopaedias and reference works
- Former Soviet Union, USSR (Europe)
- Lifestyle, sport and leisure
- Reference works
- Reference, information and interdisciplinary subjects
- Travel and holiday
- Travel writing
- REFERENCE—Bibliographies & Indexes
- Regions & Countries - Europe
- History & Archaeology
- Russia & Former Soviet Republics
- Russia (Federation)
- 9781783740598 (electronic bk.)
1783740590 (electronic bk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 27975122