Islamic reformism and Christianity : a critical reading of the works of Muḥammad Rashīd Riḍā and his associates (1898-1935) / by Umar Ryad
- Ryad, Umar
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2009.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xiv, 387 pages) : illustrations, facsimiles
- www.jstor.org , Open Access
- Restrictions on Access:
- Open Access Unrestricted online access
- Riḍā's sources of knowledge of the West : with special reference to Christianity -- Riḍā Arab Christians : attitudes towards Syrian Christians and the Egyptian Coptic community -- Al-Manār versus evangelism : Rashīd Riḍā's perceptions of the social and theological aspects of missions -- False allegations or proofs? : Riḍā's formative polemics on Christianity -- In pursuit of a 'true' gospel : Riḍā's Arabic edition of the Gospel of Barnabas -- The art of polemics : Tawfiq Ṣidqī's contributions to al-Manār and Riḍā's use of them -- Recapitulation of ideas : Christianity as reflected in Riḍā's Fatwās.
- No previous full-scale study has been undertaken so far to study the polemical writings of the Muslim reformist Muḥammad Rashīd Riḍā (1865-1935) and his associates in his well-known journal al-Manār (The Lighthouse). The book focuses on the dynamics of Muslim understanding of Christianity during the late 19th and the early 20th century in the light of al-Manār's sources of knowledge, and its answers to the social, political and theological aspects of missionary movements in the Muslim World of Riḍā's age. The basis of the analysis encompasses the voluminous publications by Riḍā and other Manārists in his journal. Besides, it makes use of newly-discovered materials, including Riḍā's private papers, and some other remaining personal archives of some of his associates.
- 9789047441465 (electronic bk.)
904744146X (electronic bk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 321-340) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 27975302