Islamising Indonesia : the rise of Jemaah Tarbiyah and the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS) / Yon Machmudi
- Machmudi, Yon, 1973-
- Acton, A.C.T. : ANU E Press, 2008.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Islam in Southeast Asia series
- Language Note:
- Restrictions on Access:
- Open Access Unrestricted online access
- The Emergence of the New Santri in Indonesia -- Jemaah Tarbiyah and Islamisation in Indonesia -- Flourishing in A hostile Political Environment -- Patterns of controlling Institutions: from campus to state -- Indonesian and Egyptian Brothers -- The sufi influences: in Pursuit of an Islamised Indonesia -- A Vision of Shariah--Led Prosperity: PKS Attitudes to the Implementation of Islamic Law.
- "The Prosperous Justice Party (PKS) is the most interesting phenomenon in contemporary Indonesian politics. Not only is it growing rapidly in membership and electoral support, it is also bringing a new and markedly different approach to Islamic politics, one which has no precedent in Indonesian history. Yon Machmudi has rendered us a valuable service. In this book, he provides a thoughtful and authoritative context for viewing PKS. He critiques the existing categorisations for Indonesian Islam and points to their inadequacy when describing the PKS and the campus-based Tarbiyah movement from which it sprang. He reworks the santri typology, dividing it into convergent, radical and global substreams. This offers new possibilities for explaining the PKS phenomenon and assists in differentiating between various types of Islamic revivalism in contemporary Indonesia. It also allows a more understanding of the accommodatory stance which PKS has towards the state and other political forces."--Publisher's description.
- Partai Keadilan Sejahtera
- Political parties—Indonesia
- Islam and politics—Indonesia
- Islam and state—Indonesia
- Politics and government
- Religious groups: social and cultural aspects
- Social groups
- Society and culture: general
- Society and social sciences Society and social sciences
- Islam and politics
- Islam and state
- Political parties
- Government - Asia
- Government - Non-U.S.
- Law, Politics & Government
- Indonesia—Politics and government
- 9781921536250 (electronic bk.)
192153625X (electronic bk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 27975310