Lords of the land, lords of the sea : conflict and adaptation in early colonial Timor, 1600-1800 / Hans Hägerdal
- Hägerdal, Hans
- Leiden : KITLV Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xvi, 479 pages) : map
- Verhandelingen van het Koninklijk Instituut voor Taal-, Land- en Volkenkunde ; 273
- Language Note:
- Restrictions on Access:
- Open Access Unrestricted online access
- Timor and historical research -- The first contacts -- Traditional forms of power -- Establishments and clashes, 1641-1658 -- The Topass phase, 1650s-1702 -- Kupang and the five loyal allies, 1658-1700s -- Life and death in Kupang -- The Estado strikes back, 1696-1732 -- The company on the move, 1732-1761 -- Colonial retreat and maintenance.
- European traders and soldiers established a foothold on Timor in the course of the seventeenth century, motivated by the quest for the commercially vital sandalwood and the intense competition between the Dutch and the Portuguese. Lords of the Land, Lords of the Sea focuses on two centuries of contacts between the indigenous polities on Timor and the early colonials, and covers the period 1600-1800.
- 9789004253506 (electronic bk.)
9004253505 (electronic bk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 433-461) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 27975655