An outcome evaluation of the success for kids program / Nicole Maestas, Sarah Gaillot
- Maestas, Nicole
- Santa Monica, CA : RAND, 2010.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xv, 53 pages) : illustrations, map
- Additional Creators:
- Gaillot, Sarah, Labor and Population Program, Rand Corporation, and Success for Kids Foundation
- Technical report ; TR-575-1-SKF
- Restrictions on Access:
- Open Access Unrestricted online access
- Introduction -- Program description -- What do we know about after-school programs? -- Evaluation design and implementation -- Data quality -- Outcome analysis -- Conclusions and recommendations -- Appendix: Training of teachers and facilitators.
- This report presents results from a multisite, quantitative evaluation of the international Success for Kids (SFK) after-school program. The program seeks to build resilience in children by teaching them to access inner resources and build positive connections with others. The SFK program is unlike most after-school programs both in its focus on spiritual development and in its emphasis on outcomes related to resilience rather than academics. The authors found that the program had beneficial effects on adaptive skills, behavioral problems, overexternalization of problems, and school problems, and the effects persisted at 12-week follow-up. Interestingly, the program positively affected school-related outcomes, even though SFK is not an academic intervention. Specifically, it improved reported study skills and reduced reported learning problems and attention problems. Overall, a major strength of the program appears to be its careful attention to uniformity of program delivery -- in particular, its standardized curriculum, use of experienced teachers, and formal teacher-training program.
- 9780833051240 (electronic bk.), 0833051245 (electronic bk.), 9780833051257 (electronic bk.), and 0833051253 (electronic bk.)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 51-53).
View MARC record | catkey: 27976382