Tense and text in classical Arabic : a discourse-oriented study of the classical Arabic tense system / by Michal Marmorstein
- Marmorstein, Michal
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2016.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- www.jstor.org , Open Access
- Language Note:
- Restrictions on Access:
- Open Access Unrestricted online access
- Introduction -- The verb in Arabic grammatical tradition -- The verb in Arabistic literature -- The structure of context -- The verbal inventory -- The syntagmatic structure of the clause -- The verbal paradigm in embedded clauses -- The predicative paradigm -- The verbal paradigm in the narrative -- The verbal paradigm in the generic utterance -- Conclusions.
- This study undertakes to examine the problem of the tenses in Classical Arabic. While aware of the long tradition which shaped the discussion of this subject, and building, in fact, on some important insights offered by medieval and modern grammarians, this study attempts to redefine the discussion and propose a new analysis of the tenses, based on a functional text-oriented investigation of a large corpus of Classical Arabic prose.
This study undertakes to examine the problem of the tenses in Classical Arabic. This title was made Open Access by libraries from around the world through Knowledge Unlatched.
- Other Subject(s):
- 9789004310483 (electronic bk.)
9004310487 (electronic bk.)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 27977745