The wise merchant / Caspar Barlaeus ; edited by Anna-Luna Post ; critical text and translation by Corinna Vermuelen
- Baerle, Caspar van, 1584-1648
- Amsterdam : Amsterdam University Press, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource : illustrations
- Additional Creators:
- Post, Anna-Luna, Vermuelen, Corinna, and Baerle, Caspar van, 1584-1648
- Language Note:
- Text in parallel Latin and English; translated from the Latin.
- Restrictions on Access:
- Open Access Unrestricted online access
- Frontmatter -- Contents -- Acknowledgements -- Introduction: wealth, knowledge and prestige -- Principles of this edition and translation -- Mercator sapiens: text and translation / Barlaeus, Caspar -- Bibliography -- Index
- On 9 January 1632, at the inauguration of the Amsterdam Illustrious School - the predecessor of the city's university - Caspar Barlaeus delivered a speech that has continued to arouse the curiosity of researchers and the general public alike: 'Mercator sapiens'. This famous oration on the wise merchant is now considered a key text of the Dutch Golden Age. At the same time it is surrounded by misunderstandings regarding Barlaeus himself, the nascent Illustrious School, and Amsterdam's merchant culture.00This volume presents the first English translation and the first critical edition of the 'Mercator sapiens', preceded by an introduction providing historical context and a fresh interpretation of this intriguing text.
- 9789048540020 (electronic bk.), 904854002X (electronic bk.), 9789462988002, and 9462988005
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 127-131) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 27978289