African environmental ethics : a critical reader / Munamato Chemhuru, editor
- Cham, Switzerland : Springer, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 325 pages : illustrations (colour), 1 map (colour) ; 25 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Chemhuru, Munamato
- The international library of environmental, agricultural, and food ethics, 1570-3010 ; volume 29
- Introducing African environmental ethics / Munamato Chemhuru -- PART I. Moral status and the African environment. An African theory of moral status: a relational alternative to individualism and holism / Thaddeus Metz -- The moral status of nature: an African understanding / Munamato Chemhuru -- Environmental ethics in the context of African traditional thought: beyong the impasse / Patrick Giddy -- The criticism of secular humanism in African philosophy / Motsumai Molefe -- PART II. Ubuntu and the environment. Ubuntu environmental ethics: conceptions and misconceptions / Ephraim Taurai Gwaravanda -- Ubuntu and environmental ethics: the West can learn from Africa when faced with climate change / Aïda C. Terblanche-Greeff -- African environmental ethics as southern environmental ethics / Nompumelelo Zinhle Manzini -- PART III. Afrcan ecocentric enviromental ethics. A (South) African land ethic? the viability of an ecocentric approach to enviromental ethics and philosophy / Ernst M. Conradie -- African enviromental ethics: lessons from the rain-maker's moral and cosmological perspectives / Garikai Madavo -- New waves: African enviromental ethics and ocean ecosystems / Michelle Louise Clarke -- PART IV. Environmental justice in African philosophy. Environmental justice: towards an African perspective / Margaret Ssebunya, Stephen Nkansah Morgan and Beatrice D. Okyere-Manu -- The African emphasis on harmonious relations: implications for enviromental ethics and justice / John Mweshi -- Expanding Nussbaum's eighth capability using African enviromental ethics / Jessica van Jaarsveld -- PART V. Questions of animal rights in African philosophy. Moral status of non-human animals from an African perspective: in defense of moderate anthropocentric thinking / Dennis Masaka -- Animal rights and enviromental ethics in Africa: from anthropocentrism to non-speciesism? / Kai Horsthemke -- Decolonizing human-animal relations in an African context: the story of the mourning elephants / Angela Roothaan -- PART VI. Issues of environmental pollution in Africa. Ethical issues in environmental pollution: multinational corporations (MNCs) and oil industries in tropical regions: the Nigerian Niger-Delta case / Kalu Ikechukwu Kalu and Konrad Ott -- Niger Delta environmental crises and the limitations of Africanizing Aldo Leopold's land ethic: towards an earth-eco-socialist model / Philomena Aku Ojomo -- "Cleanliness is next to Godliness": a theological reflection on the solid waste problem in Ghana / Afia Ban.
- "This book focuses on under-explored and often neglected issues in contemporary African environmental philosophy and ethics. Critical issues such as the moral status of nature, African conceptions of animal moral status and rights, African conceptions of environmental justice, African relational Environmentalism, ubuntu, African theocentric and teleological environmentalism are addressed in this book. It is unique in so far as it goes beyond the generalized focus on African metaphysics and African ethics by exploring how these views might be understood differently in order to conceptualize African environmental ethics. Against the background where environmental problems such as pollution, climate change, extinction of flora and fauna, and global warming are plain to see, it becomes useful to examine how African conceptions of environmental ethics could be understood in order to confront some of these problems facing the whole world. This book will be of value to undergraduate students, graduate students and academics working in the area of African Philosophy, African Environmental Ethics and Global Ethics in general"--Page 4 of cover.
- 303018806X (hardback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 27984469