Oral History: Ellen Cassaday, 13-Nov-14, 20141113
- Marlborough, Wiltshire : Adam Matthew Digital, 2019.
- Physical Description:
- online resource (video file 0:18:32) : Sound, Colour
- Additional Creators:
- Adam Matthew Digital (Firm)
- Second Lieutenant Ellen Cassaday was born February 25, 1922 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. When she graduated from high school, she entered Camben Nursing School in New Jersey. Upon graduation she began her nursing career at West New Jersey Hospital. Ellen's high school sweetheart was drafted into the army and she enlisted as a nurse in the hope she would meet up with him in Europe. She was assigned to the 196th General Hospital, a tent unit, located in Rouen, France. They provided medical aide to prisoners of war before they were sent back to the United States and to German soldiers. She served as the night supervisor checking on the status of the critical patients moving from tent to tent. Her boyfriend joined her in Rouen at the conclusion of the war. They traveled to Paris where they were married by the mayor of Paris. She was discharged in 1945 and returned to Philadelphia with her husband.
- Archive Reference: OH.3445.
- Original Version:
- Reproduction of: United States of America, 13-Nov-14.
- Location of Originals:
- The National WWII Museum
- Copyright Note:
- Material sourced from The National WWII Museum
View MARC record | catkey: 27985360