Fretting-Resistant Ion-Plated Coatings / MG. El-Sherbiny, FB. Salem
- Conference Author:
- Materials Evaluation Under Fretting Conditions (1981 : Warminster, Pa.)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (13 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- El-Sherbiny, MG., Salem, FB., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- This paper presents experimental results on fretting testing of various surface coatings, with particular reference to ion-plated films. A special test setup is described, and some peculiar testing conditions are discussed. The results indicate that ion-plated films are superior to vacuum-deposited, gas-deposited, and sputtered-surface coatings. The effectiveness in alleviating fretting of four ion-plated soft metallic films¿̐ưnamely, lead, indium, tin, and silver¿̐ưis evaluated. Lead showed the best fretting resistance at small slip amplitudes, while tin showed a good resistance at high slip amplitudes. Ion-plated titanium carbide films were also examined. The wear-resistant hard carbides showed outstanding fretting resistance.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1982, Issue 780 (January 1982)
- 9780803148444 (e-ISBN), 9780803108295, and 080310829X
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 14.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1982. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27985671