Cleanliness of Bearing Steels and Fatigue Life of Rolling Contacts / A. Kerrigan, J. C. Kuijpers, A. Gabelli, E. Ioannides
- Conference Author:
- Bearing Steel Technology-Advances and State of the Art in Bearing Steel Quality Assurance: 7th Volume (7th : 2005 : Reno, Nevada)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (6 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Kuijpers, J. C., Gabelli, A., Ioannides, E., Kerrigan, A., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- Established metallographic methods of determining the cleanliness of bearing steels with respect to micro-inclusions, such as ASTM E 45, are capable of differentiating poor quality melts from good quality melts. However, as steelmaker capabilities improve, with increasing numbers being able to consistently produce good quality melts, the established methods of cleanliness assessment are unable to differentiate between melts. These established methods, which give single figure ratings based on both the size and number of inclusions, are extremely difficult to use in predicting the performance of a bearing component under conditions of rolling contact fatigue. In this work, the method of Extreme Value Analysis (EVA) is used to characterize the inclusion population of five different steel melts of known and varying quality. A link between the EVA distribution and the measured bearing life, performed on material with a low reduction ratio, is also presented.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 2007, Issue 1465 (January 2007)
- 9780803162099 (e-ISBN), 9780803134911, and 0803134916
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 4.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 2007. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27985682