Performance Evaluation of ¿̐ưDuplex Hardened¿̐ư Bearings for Advanced Turbine Engine Applications / Edgar Streit, Joe Brock, Patrick Poulin
- Conference Author:
- Bearing Steel Technology-Advances and State of the Art in Bearing Steel Quality Assurance: 7th Volume (7th : 2005 : Reno, Nevada)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (9 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Streit, Edgar
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- Reliability is one of the most important competitive factors in aeroengines. Engine manufacturers have to provide guarantees for maintenance cost and dispatch reliability. Failures of mainshaft and gearbox bearings can represent a major debit to overall engine reliability. Duplex hardening (conventional hardening followed by special nitriding) has the potential to provide the bearing performance improvements necessary to yield increased engine reliability and reduced cost of ownership. The bearing rig tests performed demonstrate superior performance of duplex hardened M50 and M50NiL bearings over conventional M50 and MSONiL bearings under various operating conditions. Rig tests evaluating a wide range of operating conditions, such as high load, low or boundary lubrication, heavily contaminated lubrication, and oil off were performed. Additional tests were completed to evaluate the spall propagation behavior of duplex hardened bearings in comparison to conventional steel bearings. The results showed that the main benefits of using duplex hardened bearings arise in low or boundary lubrication conditions and contaminated lubrication conditions. The spall propagation tests showed that spall propagation rates are slower for duplex hardened M50 and M50NiL bearing components, hence allowing more time until catastrophic bearing failure in an aeroengine and other applications.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 2007, Issue 1465 (January 2007)
- 9780803162099 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 4.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 2007. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27985700