ASTM F-1292 as a Tool for Playground Injury Severity Reduction / RC. Shiffer
- Conference Author:
- Head and Neck Injuries in Sports (1993 : Atlanta, GA)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (6 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Shiffer, RC.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- In 1986 an activity was undertaken by ASTM Committee F08 to develop a standard specification for testing playground surfaces impact attenuation. This activity resulted in the 1991 publication of ASTM F-1292 ¿̐ưStandard Specification for Impact Attenuation of Surface Systems Under and Around Playground Equipment.¿̐ư This specification sought to clarify the 1981 United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) guideline recommendation of instrumented headform deceleration levels less than 200 G-max when tested at accelerations equal to play equipment critical heights. As such, it specifies test methodology to be used for surface testing to be conducted both in the laboratory and in the field and allows the determination of the maximum drop height at which G-max does not exceed 200. In the 1991 CPSC guideline recommendation, a second criteria of less than 1000 Head Injury Criteria (HIC) was added to the 200 G-max requirement. Revisions to ASTM F-1292 are currently being balloted to include this 1000 HIC requirement and attendant acquisition methodology.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1994, Issue 1229 (January 1994)
- 9780803152823 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 3.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1994. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27985759