Cerebral Concussions in Taekwondo Athletes / ED. Zemper, W. Pieter
- Conference Author:
- Head and Neck Injuries in Sports (1993 : Atlanta, GA)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (8 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Pieter, W., Zemper, ED., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- Injury and exposure data were collected at eight major U.S. taekwondo tournaments between 1988 and 1990, involving 5 682 competitors and a total of 5 566 bouts. There were 802 recorded injuries, 292 (36%) severe enough to cause time-loss of one day or more from further participation. Injuries were equally divided between the head and lower extremities, each accounting for about 40% of the injuries, with the remainder to upper extremities and the body. Cerebral concussions were among the most serious injuries observed, with 58 recorded or approximately 1 for every 100 participants. The total cerebral concussion rate was 5.2/1 000 athlete-exposures or 1.1/1 000 minutes of exposure. These rates of concussions for taekwondo are 3.1 times higher than seen in college football games based on number of exposures, and 7.9 times as high based on time of exposure.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1994, Issue 1229 (January 1994)
- 9780803152823 (e-ISBN), 9780803118867, and 0803118864
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 11.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1994. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27985761