Experimental and Computational Characterization of the High Strain Rate Tensile Response of Polymer Matrix Composites / RK. Goldberg, A. Gilat
- Conference Author:
- Composite Materials: Testing and Design, Fourteenth Volume (14th : 2002 : Pittsburgh, PA)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (17 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Goldberg, RK.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- A research program is underway to experimentally characterize the strain rate dependent deformation and failure response of polymer matrix composites subject to high strain rate impact loads and to develop strain rate dependent deformation and failure models for the analysis of these types of materials. State variable constitutive equations based on a viscoplasticity approach have been developed to model the deformation of the polymer matrix. The constitutive equations are then combined with a mechanics of materials based micromechanics model which utilizes fiber substructuring to predict the effective mechanical and thermal response of the composite. Tensile stress-strain curves for a representative composite are obtained experimentally for strain rates ranging from quasi-static to several hundred per second. The developed numerical procedure is also used to compute the deformation response. The predictions compare favorably to the experimentally obtained values both qualitatively and quantitatively. Effective elastic and thermal constants are predicted for another composite, and compared to finite element results.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 2003, Issue 1436 (January 2003)
- 9780803155688 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 25.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 2003. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27986151