Isolated Rupture of the Anterior Cruciate Ligament by Knee Hyperflexion / A. Ekeland, BO. Thoresen
- Conference Author:
- Skiing Trauma and Safety: Sixth International Symposium (6th : 1985 : Naeba, Japan)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (7 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Ekeland, A., Thoresen, BO., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- The incidence of anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) tears has increased dramatically in alpine skiing lately. We have studied the injury mechanism of an isolated ACL rupture that occurred in a 36-year-old female skier during a video-taped slalom race. The ACL rupture seemed to occur during a vigorous, weighted knee hyperflexion in a back-sitting skiing position. The skier felt a pop in the hyperflexed knee at that time but was able to ski the next turn which engaged the other leg. When preparing for a new turn engaging the previous hyperflexed knee, she lost control and fell over. Immediate arthroscopy and arthrotomy revealed an isolated complete ACL rupture. Later studies on three cadaver knee specimens displayed a tense ACL in the hyperflexed knee, and the dorsal musculature seemed to act like a fulcrum in this position. It is proposed that weighted knee hyperflexion may cause isolated tears of the ACL.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1987, Issue 938 (January 1987)
- Other Subject(s):
- 9780803150034 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 14.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1987. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27986281