The Effect of Elevated Temperature on Shot Peened 403 Stainless Steel / WH. Childs
- Conference Author:
- Analytical and Experimental Methods for Residual Stress Effects in Fatigue (1986 : Phoenix, AZ)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (4 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Childs, WH., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- This paper presents the results of an experiment to determine the effect of elevated temperature on residual stresses present in, and the fatigue life of, shot peened 403 stainless steel. The first step involved testing simulated Almen A strips made from strip quench and tempered to 229¿̐ư235 HB. The strips were shot peened to 8¿̐ư10 A and subjected to temperatures ranging from 150 to 595¿̐ưC (300 to 1100¿̐ưF) for up to 1000 h. The amount of relaxation of the height of each sample was then measured at several intervals during the test. The data revealed that the change at 150¿̐ưC (300¿̐ưF) after 50 h was equal to that at 260¿̐ưC (500¿̐ưF). This drop was unexpected, as a review of available literature indicated residual stresses in carbon steel would not start to drop until 260¿̐ưC (500¿̐ưF), with stainless steels resistant to a much higher temperature. Measurement via x-ray diffraction showed the residual stress dropped from -529 MPa (-76.7 ksi) at room temperature to -269 MPa (-39 ksi) after exposure to 150¿̐ưC (300¿̐ưF) and to -112 MPa (-16.3 ksi) after exposure to 595¿̐ưC (1100¿̐ưF)
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1988, Issue 1004 (January 1988)
- 9780803150256 (e-ISBN), 9780803111950, and 0803111959
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 6.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1988. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27986478