Pitfalls in Measurement of non-Newtonian Materials¿̐ư¿̐ưIt's a Line, Not a Point!¿̐ư / P. Whittingstall
- Conference Author:
- Limitations of Test Methods for Plastics (1998 : Norfolk, Virginia)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (14 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Whittingstall, P., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- Isaac Newton in his ¿̐ưPrincipia¿̐ư defined viscosity for simple liquids such as water and oils, which have a constant viscosity at a given temperature. As a result such liquids are labeled as ¿̐ưNewtonian¿̐ư in his honor. Most materials of interest to the laboratory however are non-Newtonian, in that they do not have a single value for their viscosity at a given temperature. In fact, their viscosity is a function of applied shear stress or shear rate. The science of rheology examines the behavior of real, viscoelastic materials as they deform or flow under applied shear or extension, and an understanding of its concepts is necessary if complex fluids are to be successfully measured. This article highlights some of the anomalies that can be encountered when trying to measure the subtleties of such materials.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 2000, Issue 1369 (January 2000)
- 9780803154223 (e-ISBN), 9780803128507, and 0803128509
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 5.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 2000. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27986606