Slurry Wall Backfill Integrity and Desiccation / RP. Khera, M. Thilliyar
- Conference Author:
- Physico-Chemical Aspects of Soil and Related Materials (1989 : St. Louis, Missouri)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (10 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Khera, RP.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- Experiments were conducted to study the effect of desiccation on backfill materials consisting of a sodium bentonite, kaolinite, and sand. The permeant consisted of water, aniline, phenol, and hydrochloric acid solutions. Soil specimens subjected to drying and wetting cycles snowed considerable cracking. The largest cracks were formed with phenol and the smallest with water. With increased kaolinite contents, the width and frequency of the cracks decreased. No cracks were formed with hydrochloric acid. The tests on cracked specimens indicated higher initial permeability which decreased with time and reached the same order of magnitude as uncracked specimens. Essentially all the cracks closed during the permeability tests. In the field, cracks are not likely to close and permeability is inclined to remain high or even increase if the soil in the cracks erodes.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1990, Issue 1095 (January 1990)
- 9780803151505 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 3.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1990. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27986717