Principles of Aquatic Hazard Evaluation as Applied to Ocean-Disposed Wastes / CD. Rose, TJ. Ward
- Conference Author:
- Aquatic Toxicology and Hazard Assessment (1979 : Chicago, Ill.)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (21 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Rose, CD.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- The effects-based criteria identified in the 1977 ocean dumping regulations and associated guidelines for evaluating potential hazard of ocean-disposed wastes to aquatic organisms are reviewed. The use of these criteria, which provide for bioassay-based limiting permissible concentrations for physical phases of wastes to be compared with estimated environmental concentrations of the phases, is demonstrated in case studies of two wastes (acid-iron wastewater and dredged material) that are dumped in the ocean and one waste (formation water) that is discharged from an ocean outfall. The case studies present Lagrangian (exposure-time-dependent) assessments of the potential hazard of ocean-disposed wastes to plankton, as well as Eulerian (exposure-time-independent) evaluations of the potential hazard to nonplanktonic organisms. A plume study and models of different levels of sophistication are employed to estimate environmental concentrations of ocean-disposed materials.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1981, Issue 737 (January 1981)
- Environmental impact analysis—Congresses
- Environmental impact analysis
- Water—Pollution—Environmental aspects—Congresses
- Water quality bioassay—Congresses
- Water quality bioassay
- Acid-iron wastewater
- Bioassay-based discharge criteria
- Chemically complex wastes
- Dredging spoil
- Effects-based discharge criteria
- Eulerian assessments
- Formation water
- Hazard assessment
- Lagrangian assessments
- Ocean dumping regulations
- 9780803148031 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 15.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1981. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27986849