Transmission Electron Microscopy of the Interdiffusion Regions of Iron-Zinc Couples / LA. Giannuzzi, PR. Howell, HW. Pickering, WR. Bitler
- Conference Author:
- Metallography: Past, Present, and Future (75th Anniversary Volume) (75th : 1991 : Atlantic City, New Jersey)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (12 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Bitler, WR., Giannuzzi, LA., Howell, PR., Pickering, HW., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- The iron-zinc system has been studied frequently due to the fact that zinc inhibits corrosion of the iron by cathodic protection. However, there are discrepancies in the literature concerning both the nature of the intermetallic phases that can form in iron-zinc (Fe-Zn) alloys and the details of the Fe-Zn phase diagram. Many of the problems that are associated with this system can be attributed to the difficulty of preparing homogeneous alloys of known compositions because of the high vapor pressure of zinc relative to iron. For many of the same reasons, it has proved difficult to produce thin foils for examination in the transmission electron microscope (TEM) from bimetallic Fe-Zn materials. Transmission electron microscopy of the bimetallic Fe-Zn couple in cross section is desirable because microstructural information by imaging techniques, phase identification by diffraction techniques, and chemical analysis by energy dispersive spectroscopy can be achieved with one instrument.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1993, Issue 1165 (January 1993)
- Other Subject(s):
- 9780803152267 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 10.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1993. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27987350