Monitoring Fatigue Damage Development in Ceramic Matrix Composite Tubular Specimens by a Thermoelastic Technique / K. Liao, TJ. Dunyak, WW. Stinchcomb, KL. Reifsnider
- Conference Author:
- Composite Materials: Fatigue and Fracture, Fourth Volume (4th : 1991 : Indianapolis, Indiana)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (17 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Liao, K., Dunyak, TJ., Stinchcomb, WW., Reifsnider, KL., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- Tubular specimens made of borosilicate glass reinforced by chopped carbon fibers for high-temperature applications were designed and fabricated by an injection molding process. Specimens were cyclically loaded in tension-tension at maximum stresses of 60, 70, and 85% (R = 0.1) of the ultimate tensile strength at room temperature to one million cycles and then loaded to failure in quasistatic tension. A thermoelastic technique known as SPATE (stress pattern analysis by thermal emission) was used to characterize fatigue damage development in these tubular specimens. Qualitative SPATE results were shown to be related to surface crack initiation and growth in the specimens, circumferentially and radially. Damage initiation sites and subsequent growth of cracks as well as residual strengths were found to be primarily influenced by the local manufacturing related microstructure of individual specimens and secondarily influenced by fatigue damage.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1993, Issue 1156 (January 1993)
- 9780803152229 (e-ISBN), 9780803114982, and 0803114982
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 13.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1993. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27987549