Effect of Overloads and Underloads on Fatigue Crack Growth and Interaction Effects / F. Romeiro, M. de Freitas, S. Pommier
- Conference Author:
- Fatigue Testing and Analysis Under Variable Amplitude Loading Conditions (2002 : Tours, France)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (15 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Romeiro, F., de Freitas, M., Pommier, S., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- Under constant amplitude loading, a single variable (?K) is required in crack growth relationships. The transferability of fatigue laws, determined under constant amplitude loading, to variable amplitude fatigue requires at least an additional variable, whose evolution with crack length accounts for the interaction effects between cycles of different types. The crack opening level (Kop) is usually employed for this purpose because it can be determined from the experiments and compared with predictions from models or FEM analyses. This paper presents an analysis of fatigue crack growth on M(T) specimens of medium carbon steel specimens and using FEM analyses. The specimens are subjected to repeated blocks of cycles made up of one or several overloads separated by a variable number of baseline cycles. The experiments are simulated by FEM analyses, taking into account the cyclic plastic behavior of the low carbon steel. The main objective of this study is to better understand the mechanisms at the origin of interactions effects due to the presence of overloads (or underloads) at different locations of the block loading. It is concluded that the interaction effects are closely related to the cyclic plastic behavior of the material and namely to the Bauschinger effect.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 2005, Issue 1439 (January 2005)
- 9780803155039 (e-ISBN), 9780803134799, and 0803134797
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 11.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 2005. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27987776