Mechanical Performance of Composite Sandwich Beams with Syntactic Foam Cores / NN. Jize, C. Hiel, O. Ishai
- Conference Author:
- Composite Materials: Testing and Design: Twelfth Volume (12th : 1994 : Montreal, Canada)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (14 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Hiel, C., Ishai, O., Jize, NN., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- A design concept for composite wind tunnel compressor blades at NASA Ames Research Center was based on a sandwich construction composed of carbon fiber-reinforced polymer (CFRP) skins bonded to a syntactic foam core. The detailed design and analysis of this blade required the input of the elastic and strength properties of the sandwich constituents. Available standards that apply to regular foams and honeycomb cores were found to be partly inadequate for this purpose. An improved testing procedure and its analysis that provided the basic elastic and strength properties are reported in this paper. Tensile, compressive, and shear properties of the foam and skin are identified using beam deflection and failure mode analysis.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1996, Issue 1274 (January 1996)
- 9780803153318 (e-ISBN), 9780803124042, and 080312404X
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 8.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1996. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27987935