Determination of Intermolecular Forces by Surface-Chemical Techniques / F. M. Fowkes
- Conference Author:
- Adhesion (1963 : Atlantic City, New Jersey)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (12 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Fowkes, F. M., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- The intermolecular forces operative between adjacent phases include the ever-present dispersion forces; various dipole and ionic interactions; hydrogen-bonding and electron-transfer complexes; and the metallic bond. For any given interface the nature of the forces that can operate between the two materials may reduce to dispersion forces alone or dispersion forces plus hydrogen-bonding. Means to evaluate the magnitudes of these interacting foices, based on measurements of contact angles, interfacial tensions, and heats or free energies of immersion or adsorption, are set forth. Examples are shown in which the wettability of solids by liquids is best predicted by considering the actual type of intermolecular forces involved at the interface.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1964, Issue 360 (January 1964)
- 9780803159983 (e-ISBN), 9780803161528, and 0803161522
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 20.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1964. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27988239