Stresses Around Transverse Fissure Flaws in Rails Due to Service Loads / SG. Sampath, TG. Johns, PM. McGuire, KB. Davies
- Conference Author:
- Rail Steels¿̐ưDevelopments, Processing, and Use (1976 : Denver, Colo.)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (12 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Davies, KB., Johns, TG., McGuire, PM., Sampath, SG., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- The paper describes analysis related to cracks in rails using the finite element method. Attention has been focused on transverse fissure type of defects in railheads, although the approach is more generally applicable. Elastic stress intensity factors are calculated using the crack closure method and compared against values computed directly from node ¿̐ưopening¿̐ư displacement. Analyses using idealized polynomial type of stress distributions for embedded cracks are viewed in the light of finite element results. A discussion of stresses that can occur in railheads with flaws for some load situations is included.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1978, Issue 644 (January 1978)
- 9780803147164 (e-ISBN), 9780803105454, and 0803105452
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 13.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1978. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27988295