Effects of Neutron Irradiation on the Magnetic Properties of Ferromagnetic Bulk Alloys and Thin Films / A. I. Schindler, C. M. Williams
- Conference Author:
- Space Radiation Effects (1963 : )
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (9 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Schindler, A. I., Williams, C. M., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- To ascertain the origins and types of irradiation-induced modifications of magnetic properties, toroid and thin-film specimens of permalloys in various states of magnetization were exposed to neutron irradiation. Magnetic hysteresis loop characteristics and magnetic anistropy were measured in the pile, as well as before and after irradiation. The magnetic characteristics of the toroid specimens were severely altered by irradiation, exhibiting increased values of coercive force as well as large changes in hysteresis loop shape. Thin-film specimens of Ni3Fe, on the other hand, had hysteresis loop characteristics which were much less affected by neutron irradiation. However, following irradiation in a magnetic field, applied in the hard direction, the magnetic anisotropy of the thin films was found to decrease significantly. These results are attributed to the development of radiation-enhanced, short-range directional ordering, as well as the interaction of the irradiation-induced defects with the magnetic-domain structure.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1964, Issue 363 (January 1964)
- 9780803169715 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 7.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1964. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27988405