Laboratory Solutions for Studying Corrosion of Aluminum Alloys in Seawater / SC. Dexter
- Conference Author:
- The Use of Synthetic Environments for Corrosion Testing (1986 : Teddington, Middlesex, England)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (18 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Dexter, SC., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- The difficulties in obtaining reproducible results for the corrosion of aluminum alloys in saline waters, both in the laboratory and in the field are well known. The various factors contributing to variability in aluminum corrosion data in saline waters are briefly reviewed. This information is then used to evaluate NaCl solutions, enhanced NaCl solutions, synthetic seawaters, and stored seawater as substitutes for natural seawater in studying the corrosion of aluminum in the laboratory. The effects of such factors as dissolved oxygen concentration, pH, temperature, organic content, salinity, and stability of the solution are discussed. While no laboratory solution can replace natural seawater for long-term corrosion testing, an artificial solution composed of sodium chloride, sodium bicarbonate, and magnesium, with controlled oxygen, pH, temperature, and hydrodynamics is suitable for many laboratory purposes. This solution is simple, more stable than either natural or artificial seawater, and closely reproduces the short-term behavior of aluminum alloys in natural seawater.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1988, Issue 970 (January 1988)
- Other Subject(s):
- 9780803150423 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 48.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1988. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27989013