Effect of Polarization on Two Color Laser-Induced Damage / W. Becker, JK. McIver, AH. Guenther
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
Subscription required for access to full text.
- Laser-induced damage of optical materials due to the presence of radiation at two different frequencies has received little attention in the literature even though this is not an uncommon occurrence in the laboratory. Recent studies on the multiphoton ionization of single atoms have shown that the ionization threshold depends strongly on the frequencies of the incident fields and their polarizations. In this paper we explore the extent to which these results can be applied to laser-induced damage. The results for a single atom are presented for the case where one field has a comparatively high frequency and low intensity. This field is responsible for the ionization. The other field has a higher intensity and much lower frequency such that it does not ionize by itself. However, it substantially modifies the ionization threshold due to the first field. Both fields are circularly polarized. The behavior of the ionization rate near the thresholds is found to depend strongly on whether the fields have the same or opposite circular polarizations. We also speculate on how these results will influence laser induced damage thresholds.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1991, Issue 1141 (January 1991)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 17.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in PDF edition.
Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1991. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27989087