Analysis of Physical and Thermal Comfort Properties of Chemical Protective Clothing / ShuQin Wen, Guowen Song, Scott Duncan
- Conference Author:
- Performance of Protective Clothing and Equipment: Emerging Issues and Technologies, 9th Volume (9th : 2011 : Anaheim, CA)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (26 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Wen, ShuQin
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- Research regarding chemical protective clothing (CPC) focuses on human comfort, clothing performance, and the heat strain associated with wearing protective materials. These studies are usually limited to one or two fabric/garment characteristics (e.g., garment weight, barrier permeability), and most of the research has been specific for certain tasks or garments. A systematic approach is needed in order to offer a comprehensive analysis on the performance of CPC and provide a technical basis for predicting comfort. This research measures the physical and thermal comfort related properties of CPC with available bench-scale methods and predicts the comfort level and heat strain based on the mechanical and physical properties of the material. Five articles of CPC and one fabric sample, with various chemical protective qualities, were evaluated with respect to mechanical and comfort related heat and moisture transfer properties. The results obtained were analyzed, and the physical burden and heat stress a human would experience when wearing these CPC fabrics were investigated. Comparisons and correlations between these properties and their contribution to clothing performance and human comfort are discussed. A full analysis of the physical and moisture related properties of the selected CPC fabrics is provided.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 2012, Issue 1544 (October 2012)
- 9780803175624 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 29.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 2012. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27989158